17 December 2007

"Web Log" Turns Ten

The BBC reports today that Jorn Barger created the term "Web Log" ten years ago to refer to his regularly updated collection of links. Given that definition, it turns out I'm not ten years behind the times after all; I started my own web page collection of links interesting to me some time late in the last century, and I did update it periodically, if not daily. But having just started my own Blog, in the current meaning of the term, it's a bit dismaying to read that there are now at least 70 million of them out there. Moreover:
Technorati, which keeps an eye on the blogosphere, estimates that there are now 120,000 new blogs being created every day. Posts are being added to blogs at a rate of 17 per second - a total of 1.5 million per day, says the firm.
This makes the chance that I'll find readership for this blog seem rather remote.

No comments:

Post a Comment