20 October 2010

Nineteen

The number of cigarette butts I counted on my way off the platform at the Long Branch train station the other day. By no means did I make any attempt to get a comprehensive count; those were just the ones I saw between exiting the train and walking off the end of the platform.

According to the train and station crews, it's up to the local police to enforce the non-smoking laws at NJ Transit train stations. (So why aren't station agents calling the police about violators?)

I called the Long Branch police department, where a very nice-sounding dispatcher said she'd check, but she thought it was Transit police, and not local police, who were responsible for this.

(I've never seen a transit police officer anywhere outside NYC or Newark. Have you?)

And then, on the platform last night, I pointed out the no-smoking sign to a smoker standing under it.

"I'm just checking the schedule," he said. "And anyway, it's not going to hurt you if I smoke here."

"I'm just breathing," I said. "And I'm asthmatic."

A lot of things about this bother me. Here's one: Why do I feel compelled to identify myself as ill (disabled? invalid?) by way of excusing my protests about someone else's smoking? Why not just leave it at, "I'm breathing"?

(Week eight, by the way, of taking public transit to campus at least once a week. This week: three round trips. I always think the evening bike ride home is going to be tiring, but it always turns out to be a lovely quiet spin along the river with lights on the bridges and in Brooklyn reflecting off the water.)

2 comments:

  1. Here's a letter I just wrote to the folks at NJ Transit:

    I regularly ride the train between Newark Penn Station and Long Branch, and I regularly encounter people smoking on the platform. Train and station employees tell me local police are supposed to enforce the smoking ban; when I called local police, they thought it was Transit police but they were going to check. Yesterday morning, I counted 19 cigarette butts while walking off the train to the end of the platform; yesterday evening, I pointed out a no-smoking sign to a man smoking under it and got hassled for my efforts.

    A no-smoking policy is meaningless if it's unenforced.

    Please:

    1. Ask station crews to make regular announcements reminding passengers that they aren't allowed to smoke on the platforms
    2. Remind local and transit police officers to patrol stations
    3. Install water pistols in all stations so that when other employees aren't available, passengers can take the initiative to extinguish any cigarettes in use.

    Okay, #3 probably isn't practical.

    However, I am writing to ask that you work to enforce smoking bans on NJ transit platforms, either by devoting more resources to policing or to finding creative solutions that don't require resources, but do address the problem.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And ... a response from NJ Transit:
    ----
    Dear Heide,
    Thank you for contacting NJ TRANSIT. We have alerted our NJ TRANSIT Police Department to your concerns.

    Unfortunately our police and station personnel cannot be everywhere and observe anyone at once. Should you observe anyone smoking in a prohibited area, please do not confront the person. Instead, please notify an on-site employee, who can then determine the best course of action. If you are at an unmanned location, please contact either local police (Long Branch PD 732-571-5668) or the NJ TRANSIT Police Department (800-242-0236).

    NJ TRANSIT appreciates you taking the time to share this information. It is important to us as we work to improve your commuting environment.

    Sincerely,
    Fred Bauer
    NJ TRANSIT Customer Service Team
    ----
    Thanks, Fred. I can tell this is a really high priority for you.

    ReplyDelete