06 October 2010

Week Six

There's a distinct difference between my bike/train/bike and my car/car/car commutes. And it has to do with interaction with other people.

On the bike, I can talk to people. There are the regular interactions with ticket takers on the train, folks who work in the stations, and traffic officers at the intersections. Plus, most days, someone sees the bike fold or unfold and asks about it, and I get to show it off.

While I'm driving, I can't talk to the other drivers; usually, I can't even make eye contact. I'm limited to what I can communicate with a 2500-pound hunk of metal, plastic, and glass. With a horn. No wonder people succumb to road rage.

(This week: one train trip, one car trip, so far. We'll see about the rest of the week.)

No comments:

Post a Comment