02 March 2010

Uses for Scrap Paper

My institution generates a whole lot of paper. I get reams and reams of memos and related paperwork, and I throw it straight into a bin for scrap paper -- NOT into the recycle bin. So how do I reuse all that scrap paper?

1. I take it home, and use it in my home printer. Most of the stuff I print out -- drafts of anything I'm writing, notes for class, my own copies of syllabi and assignments, and the list goes on -- doesn't need to be printed on a fresh piece of paper, as it will eventually end up in the recycling. (I share an office printer, and if I have a huge job, I check with everyone else in the network and then put scrap in that, too.)

2. I take a stack of 20 to 30 sheets, put four staples across the top, and use it as a note pad.

3. I gave an exam today, and I brought a pile of scrap paper with me and gave the students the option of writing their answers on scrap instead of in blue books. (Yes, I checked first for sensitive information.)

Other uses for scrap paper, anyone? Post your good ideas to the comments.

5 comments:

  1. Scrap paper is a big topic around here (law office!) we end up shredding most of our scrap but at least it gets recycled. I also bring a lot of scrap home for the kids, grocery lists etc.

    Sonja

    ReplyDelete
  2. shredded paper works well for bedding for the pets--I also put shredded paper in my compost bin--its not a problem as long as the ink is not the toxic kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use every piece of paper twice. At home, the bin of clean-on-one-side paper gets used by the kidlet for drawings and projects - or goes through the printer again. At work, I print on the backs - though I do try to remember to destroy paper with sensitive information...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of composting paper (though I live in a city apartment, which complicates things). Do you happen to know if the toner they use in photocopiers and laser printers is non-toxic?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do #1 and #3. Everything I print (lecture notes, drafts, etc) is on scrap paper. In fact, while I was at Monmouth I would go to the computer labs before I left sometimes and take any scrap paper from printouts if I saw it.

    When I give exams, which isn't often, I will bring in scrap paper for students to write on.

    ReplyDelete