15 September 2010

Week Three

For all of the obvious reasons, I'm trying to limit driving. But I've got this pesky commute of 55 miles, one way.

For the last several years I've spent a night, sometimes two, in a hotel near the office each week as a way to eliminate one of the round-trip drives, but that has the drawbacks that I don't get to go home, and there's the environmental impact involved with washing sheets and towels and cleaning a room, all for one night's use.

Enter this:
... which folds up into this:
It was, as I like to tell anyone who will listen, a Mother's Day gift from The Mate.

This semester, I've made a commitment to myself to take the train to work round-trip at least once a week. What that means?

I leave home at 8 a.m., ride the little bike to the World Trade Center Path Station, fold it up for a trip on the Path (excuse me... the PATH) to Newark where I switch to New Jersey Transit to get to Long Branch, and then unfold the little machine again to ride to my office, arriving around 10:40.

Yep. It's a long sentence. And it's an even longer trip. And at the end of the day, I turn around and do it backwards. But I do get to read, nap, or just stare out the window, rather than having to drive my car.

This week, I made the trip for the third time this semester, if I get to count the department meeting before the start of the term. I'll post updates occasionally about my success, or failure, at keeping this up in the weeks to follow.

3 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention your cunning little black skirt. :)

    How long are each of the bike riding segments?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed. How many miles a day is that in all? And how many bonus points do you get for riding in the city? (MANY)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's about two miles, each way, at each end, so around 8 in all. Much of the city end of the ride is along the East River, now that we live right by the FDR Drive, so that improves the trip pretty vastly over having to go straight through Chinatown roundabout 8 a.m.

    The little black skirt doesn't go to work much. Not dowdy enough: I have a Reputation to uphold.

    ReplyDelete