10 April 2013

100 Blessings

I learned yesterday that as Jews, we're supposed to say 100 blessings a day.

Yes, 100.

It blows my mind: the idea of acknowledging, 100 times every single day, the things for which we can be grateful.

There are prescribed blessings to be made on waking, at various times of day, with food.  But I'm drawn to the idea of just being thankful -- not for one thing a day, as many people do in November, but 100 times in a single day.  And the day after, and the day after that.  It would require some serious mindfulness, to remember all day to give thanks for things I'm so fortunate to have in abundance in my life.

The Offspring, the Mate, the Dog, the Reptile.  Other family members, connected and caring even though far away.  Friends, good colleagues, good students.  Food, water, shelter in abundance and comfort.

Books, ideas, music, art.  A job I love (most of the time).

Trees, ocean, hills.  Daffodils, forsythia, cherry trees exploding in bloom.  A pair of cardinals darting across the road as I biked to work this morning.

Eyes to see with, legs to pedal a bike, hair to keep my head warm.

Being mindful of all of these things I'm so fortunate to have in my life, of acknowledging them, of feeling blessed, day after day after day: what would it take?  100 blessings?  Can I find them once, remember to see them, day after day after day?

No comments:

Post a Comment