04 August 2023

We Need To Find A Way To Ban Plane Advertising

Advertising planes fly over the beach seven days a week in my neighborhood. I am three-quarters of a mile away from the beach. I have been spending a lot of time outdoors resting, when not treed indoors by global boiling or poor air quality.

Even at my distance from the beach, I usually see two or three advertising planes a day, even on weekdays, and more on weekends.


The most common small plane, according to the Intertubes, is the Cessna 172, which seems to require around 8 gallons of gas an hour.


My Honda Fit gets 33 mpg driving around on suburban streets, 40+ on highways. Let’s call it an average of 35 mpg. 


Let’s say they’re out there flying for six hours a day: that’s 48 gallons per flight. If that’s a good guess, then one of those planes burns as much gas in under a week as my car does in a year.


One part of me reacts to this by thinking there’s no point in worrying about my own carbon footprint when this is going on. 


Another part of me wants to figure out what businesses are flying the planes (the signs face the beach, not my backyard) and write to them all to tell them how I feel about this.


Another part wants to write to Governor Murray and Vin Gopal and suggest that they make this kind of advertising illegal.


And then there’s the part of me that’s feels like all of this is too much, because Long COVID. 


But I will, I hope, revise this post into a letter to write to some of my elected officials, and I hope you’ll feel free steal whatever is useful and do the same.


If you do, please let me know. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment