17 November 2009

Giving Thanks

My life came to a sudden halt three weeks ago, and I can't quite believe Thanksgiving is almost upon us. But there it is.

It's been a tough three weeks. I get short of breath at the slightest exertion (think: unloading the dishwasher, or even having a conversation), and the docs can't find an explanation. I've had a huge number of tests, some fairly invasive, and those are exhausting in themselves.

Yet I have so many things to be thankful for. The Mate is a pillar of strength. The Offspring is a joy.

I HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE. The bills are going to start coming in soon, and many of them will have been rejected on one or another technicality, and The Mate (it's always been his job) will be on the phone with the doctors' offices and the insurance company for days, getting it all sorted out. But I don't have to worry about going broke paying all the bills.

I have family. My mother and my mother-in-law each spent several days with us, helping with food shopping, cooking, looking after The Offspring, and being generally supportive.

I have friends. They have busy lives, yet they've taken the time to be with me, to send email messages, to talk on the phone, to help me hold up this burden. I have co-workers who have taken on my work with cheer and good will.

I have a home, I have warm clothing, I have plenty to eat (unlike one in seven Americans, and countless folks across the globe).

I will admit, I'm stressed out and I'm frightened. But I'm also immensely thankful for all that I have.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Heide, I'm so sorry to hear that you haven't been well. Is there anything we can do to help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to read that you haven't been well. My thoughts are with you all.

    Justine.

    ReplyDelete