09 February 2012

Commuting Woes

Commuting by bike and train four days a week means 20 hours a week in transit.  Here's the breakdown for the curious:

4 hours biking
2 hours waiting for trains
1.5 hours reading am New York, doing KenKen and Sudoku
30 minutes on the phone with people at work
2 hours catching up with friends and family
10 hours reading for classes, grading papers, or doing administrative work

It's mostly productive time, and I've come to value particularly the hour a day on the bike, especially along the river at the end of the day.  And it gives my day some structure, which turns out to help a lot since I'm otherwise quite prone to procrastination.  

But I'll be very happy when the semester ends.  I typically go to campus one day a week in the summer, working at home the rest of the time.  It makes the work load and the crazy schedule during the semester possible.

1 comment:

  1. I do a bike/transit commute too - I have a folding bike that I can take on the train. It's sped up my commute time considerably, since I don't have to walk or wait for the bus on the other end - I just get on the bike and I'm good to go. It's been such a nice winter for riding too - not at all like last year!

    ReplyDelete