17 March 2012

Green ... Washing at the Hyatt?

I'm in a hotel, and there's a little sign in the bathroom that says they're not replacing linens and towels every day to save resources, and if you want fresh ones, you can call the front desk.

So I don't call the front desk, because I'd rather save resources.

But I leave the room for a few hours and when I get back, the towels I left hanging in the bathroom have been replaced with fresh ones.  The sheets too, apparently.

A couple of hotel stays ago, there was a similar sign about saving resources; it said to leave the towels on the floor if you wanted fresh towels.  I dutifully hung up the towels so I could reuse them, but they got replaced anyway.

So what gives?

2 comments:

  1. I'm guessing everything has a threshold, and if towels have obviously been used, they get replaced. But what they aren't doing is routinely swapping out all the towels/linen daily, unless you request it.

    Yes, this seems insane to me too. But a housekeeper at an inn at which I am a frequent visitor told me horror stories last summer about being berated by guests for failing to replace obviously unused towels on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had this happen the last time we stayed in a hotel as well, so now we leave notes if we do. I don't mind reusing towels, after all, and would actually prefer it to thinking I'm wasting resources and creating more work for people. But even the notes are only about 50% effective, so...good luck!

    ReplyDelete