18 April 2011

Do Nothing for Two Minutes

Kdiddy at Moxiebird brought me to this website, which tells the viewer to listen to the waves and do nothing for two minutes.My sound was off. I listened to a truck backing up, and the wind gusting outside, and the dog wandering around the apartment.

After a few seconds, I found myself relaxing. Breathing. Letting go of the tensions of the day. All this is good. After my two minutes were up, I turned the sound on, and now I get to hear the waves in the background as I type this. If I listen carefully, I can hear a distant gull -- or maybe that's outside my actual windows, not inside the computerized ones.

TechCrunch sez the site is the brainchild of Alex Tew, who thinks social networking is changing the way our brains are wired. (Yep, I'm suspicious -- I wondered if the web site was spending two minutes erasing my hard drive or stealing all my passwords, so I went out and did some looking around.)

I like the site, I really do. I like the idea of taking a two-minute meditative pause out of the non-stop frenzy. But at the same time, I find the idea of simulated sea to be distinctly odd. What do you think?

1 comment: