20 May 2011

Avoiding Plastic

I've been thinking about plastic a lot of the time since February.

Herewith, a pair of lists:

More plastic:
  • shampoo in a plastic bottle
  • liquid laundry detergent
  • toothpaste
  • cling wrap and plastic sandwich bags
  • canned beans
  • tampons with a plastic applicator
Less plastic:
  • bar shampoo
  • powdered laundry detergent
  • tooth powder
  • reusable containers; waxed paper bags
  • dry beans, cook 'em yourself
  • applicator-less tampons; Diva Cup
It's ubiquitous.

Avoiding the stuff means constant vigilance. The other day I asked The Mate why we switched to liquid laundry detergent; apparently the supermarket in the neighborhood we moved to last summer doesn't carry fragrance-free powder. I'll have to work on that. Now that Tom's of Maine switched from an aluminum tube to plastic, I'm working on tooth powder too.

1 comment:

  1. I was totally bummed when Tom's changed. I like the tactile quality of the metal tube.

    ReplyDelete