03 January 2012

I'm Not Sick

I went for a run this afternoon.  Yes, that's right.  It's January, and I went out for a run.  I don't know how many years it's been since I haven't been laid low for much of the winter by pneubronchashthmitismonia. 

And I don't know why it's different this year.  Maybe it's because of the vitamin D my new doc put me on; maybe it's because The Offspring hasn't been sick much, and we had only a few nights last fall interrupted by asthma attacks.  Maybe summer's Lyme Disease somehow knocked the socks off my immune system.

The wheeled briefcase I use on "crip days" is gathering dust at the back of the closet.  I haven't been to the doctor in months.  Regular exercise, good food, lots of sleep -- I'm gathering strength and energy.  And I'm trying to avoid wondering when luck will run out, Fortuna spin her wheel, thrust me back down to earth.

I'm trying to be grateful for being in good health right now.  I can see this as a gift of awareness, the ability to savor good health rather than taking it for granted until suddenly it's gone.  Rather than the fear of what might be around the corner, I'm trying to focus on that gift -- today.

No comments:

Post a Comment